Monday, June 04, 2007

And Another One

Got home early today as the normal meeting was cancelled which was great as it meant I could run.

Decided to have another crack at the 7ks and try to shave a little more time off. I started out well and did the first k in 6.38 (a PB), then 5.40, 5.51, 5.00, 5.09, 5.41 and 6.22. All up 40.20!! (Compared to last week's 41.39).

I would love to run at this pace on Sunday and given that the course is flat it is not a too unreasonable goal. But, I'm not sure that I could keep it up and I don't want to go out too hard and then crash.

Last year I ran the 10 ks in 54.49 so I should be able to handle 5.40 pace which would get me in under 2 hours. Am I being too ambitious given my recent health issues? Should I go for it? Or should I aim for 6 minute pace and try to finish comfortably? Will my legs stand up to it?

Any thoughts?

3 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey RU

Well there are no guarantees but if you can run that well in training then you will be able to PB on race day.

The last three Kms won't be so hard if you can keep to around 5min per K until the 7th K and pick it up as you feel in the last 3K.

Yes, go for it!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

I may sound silly but you should find a quiet place just before the race and do a few sprints to get your heart rate up before heading to the goal.

I think, by reading your blog, you often start off slow, like me, and I've found this helps to give me a faster first few kms without overtaxing me. That is I can still keep a fast pace until the end.

Have a great race.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Celeste said...

Go for it RU!! But be sensible - and have a great time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home