Friday, October 10, 2008

What a Difference

Yes, I am still here. No, no blogging doesn't mean no running.

The iron has made such a huge difference to my running that I admit to feeling a little foolish not to have realised how important it is. The lack of iron was causing my heart rate to get high with the slightest extra effort, hence my runs were getting slower but feeling harder.

Have been feeling so much better (apart from a rotten cold - my first for the year) that I have even started to harbour a secret desire to run a marathon next year. When announced to the family last night it was greeted with a groaning 'No' from G and 'What's the point of running one marathon?' I explained that I would probably do a half as well, in response to his suggestion that I try to get my half time down. His reasoning was that he didn't want me to turn into a scrawny-looking marathon runner. I had to explain that scrawny-looking marathon runners generally have that body type to start with which is why they make such good marathon runners. The boys didn't seem bothered either way but J (a sometime runner too) gave me a wry smile when his Dad started complaining.

The plan is to maintain and slowly build upon the current fitness and then start a program in January sometime. I really just want to be able to finish comfortably and run all the way. The plan is to either run the Macleay River Marathon (June) or the Gold Coast (July) which really depends on holiday plans we have to go to the Territory in the July holidays next year.

At the moment my long runs are about 14kms (1.38.00) with two other runs of about 6-8ks each week. I am still taking it pretty easy till I go back to the doctor next week to check on iron, thyroid, etc.

Now I just need to shake this damn cold.

2 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Congratulations RU,

I've been waiting to hear this news ;)

Tell your hubby not to worry too much cause although there won't be as much of you as there was you can always fatten up again after the thon.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

Good to hear the iron is making a big difference. Sounds like a good plan and the Gold Coast is a good one to look at as it nice and flat and a big crowd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home