Sunday, June 24, 2007

Confirmation

Have had two runs since my last post. Another little run in the dark on Friday morning, also the coldest yet. A big frost on the paddocks when I got back (too dark to see on the way out).

Then yesterday afternoon I did my long run - 16ks. I wanted to keep it under 7 minute pace which I did for the first half. Then I started suffering with stomach cramps for about the next 5ks. Ate all my jellybeans and drank quite a bit of my water. I think the problem was that I had a small lunch (scrambled eggs, no toast, an apple and a handful of nuts at about 11:00 then a packet of chips at D's soccer) then ran at about 3:15. I meant to have a banana before I went but forgot. It can be hard to co-ordinate food, soccer and running! Anyway I slowed substantially on the second half to go slightly over 7 minute pace. Overall time 1:52:27.

The title of this post relates to my most recent doctor's visit (I have been as many times this year as in the last 9 years). It appears that I do have coeliac disease. The blood test showed the level of antibodies to be 42 when normal is under 7. So this means a radical change in diet - no bread, muesli, cakes, etc (well, the regular ones anyway) it is amazing how much food has gluten in it. I will need to see a gastroenterologist sometime (apparently it takes months to get in) and she will probably do a biopsy to confirm, but the doctor has said to start the gluten-free diet straight away. My iron levels are not picking up like they should, so maybe this is why. Bugger is all I can think. I had to go to Newcastle on Thursday and we stopped at the fake Ayers Rock place. There was Subway, a pie place and a hamburger place. The only food I could have bought was fruit or hot chips. Luckily I had my own food and just bought a coffee.

The thyroid meds are also starting to work too well and am feeling very tired. Have reduced the dose so hopefully that won't last too long. G was on the phone to his brother the other day telling him that I was coming down with new diseases all the time I had to yell out to remind him that I also ran a half marathon recently. I am not quite falling apart yet!

4 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hi RU

It would be difficult to avoid things such as bread, muesli, and cakes living in Australia. But you now know what to avoid and what to eat and in that way you're lucky.

It's not surprising that diet has so much influence over our health and how we feel. But what does amaze me is that so many people don't know that by being aware of what they put into their bodies they can improve their overall health an well being.

By the way it's also great that you put this into perspective, like you said you did just run a half marathon!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

wow - I am sorry to hear that you have had a confirmation of coeliac disease - that is a massive lifestyle change. I hope that it makes a noticeable difference to you though. I had some tests for that when I couldn't seem to absorb iron but was clear thank goodness.

Good luck with it!!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Celeste said...

RU - I can relate to the whole gluten thing. Hubby was tested for coeliac's but the biopsy came back as an allergy to lactose. In the meantime we avoided all gluten. We got really good at looking at labels and heading straight for the health food section of the supermarket. We still have a modified diet for him, and all I can say is that you get used to it. Yes, it's a pain in the neck, but it's better than the alternative.

I was just thinking of a dinner we went to where there was no choice in the menu (you know - like at a group function). So we contacted the organisers and told them that hubby couldn't have gluten. Everyone else got served a lovely roast dinner and he got rice crackers with sliced tomato!!! LOL!! The ironic part was they could have left the gravy off and his meal would have been fine!!!!!

Hope nothing like that happens to you....

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

Hope the thyroid levels are sorted out soon. It can be a pain getting it right.

I think you'll be able to find lots of gluten free products. I did a gluten free diet for a while and found it quite easy once I found some good substitute foods and there are lots of bread products around now made from gluten free grains like buckwheat and rice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home