Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Resting

I have been having ongoing knee issues over the past few weeks and now my lower back is quite sore too. My last long run was a walk 1k, run 1k (for 10ks all up) but the right knee was still sore after that.

A work colleague (and fellow runner and triathlete) yesterday suggested that I have a rest from running for a month and I am seriously considering it. The only thing that really worries me is that I won't start again. I might forget how much I love it or just decide that it's not worth it.

We are actually heading off to Adelaide tomorrow so it might be a good time to just focus on walking with a bit of swimming.

Anyone have any ideas?

3 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Don't do it RU!!!

You will lose a lot of fitness that may not return even after getting back into it.

Just keep going on the flat, no hills, and do short runs or slow longer ones until you feel better.

Unless the doc says that you have an injury that would prevent you from running, again don't do it.

You should be able to come good while still running. I find I get most aches and pains around 30K a week then I do at 100K a week.

Anyway you know yourself, you are going to have to make this call.

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger Lulu said...

A month is a long time to have off. It also depends on what is wrong with your knee. In my experience you will need to do some sort of strengthening to stop the problem reoccuring. If you can, go and see a physio and get a proper diagnosis and then you might be able to get it better whilst still running.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Happy New Year RU!

I was thinking about the comment I left vis-a vis the one month off.

I think I was being a bit thoughtless saying you should try to run through your pains of late. I really understand the need to take some time off and indeed it is what has to be done at times.

I shouldn't be so arrogant to say you'd be better off running more, sorry about that, but I'm sure you would have taken my advice with a grain of salt ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home