Sunday, January 14, 2007

Not pretty, but I did it

Today:14 kms
This week: 29 kms
This month: 43 kms

My long run that is. The first km took 8.47 (due partly to drag factor) and I realised that it was going to be one of those runs. I was sorely tempted to turn back and start again tomorrow but I persevered. The pace only improved marginally, I just felt buggered today for some reason. It was quite warm even at 7.00 (24 degrees and humid) and had built to 31 by the time I got back an hour and 45 minutes later!! I guess one good part of this run is that it helped with my goal to build up to 2 hr long runs - not sure that I intended to stretch out my existing runs by getting slower.

I spent quite a bit of the first part of the run denigrating myself for the pace and working out what my finishing time would be. But then I talked myself into seeing it in a more positive light. I think that these types of runs are actually the hardest and it would have been very easy to give up (well maybe not when I was 7 kms from home in he middle of the bush!) but I stuck it out. Although I did walk up most of that hill and even walking it was hard work today. I really wanted to sit down. Poor Pip was totally stuffed. I think it was his first 14k run - congratulations Pip!

Thanks for feedback regarding my rave about getting a cleaner. I like 2p's suggestion about running gear. I am a very cheap runner with few toys, just reasonable shoes and a stopwatch that came free with the subscription to 'Runners World'. I only have one running top purchased in a sports store (on special). The only other investment I have made is decent sports bras (but these are absolutely essential as I am not exactly built like a marathon runner!).

2 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger blues buffett said...

Hi RU

2P has good ideas. Whay not treat yourself to a CR cap and maybe a singlet?
That way, you'll feel more part of our community.

Great 14k today - well done.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Great work on the 14k RU - the runs where you have to perservere are great for training the mind.

BB has some good ideas too ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home