Monday, September 24, 2007

Did I? Didn't I?

Race Report

Didn't have the greatest pre-race preparation on Saturday - spent most of the day walking around, trying to figure out to get to where we wanted to go and discovering that certain train platforms were closed! Plus an hours walk with J in the morning.

Anyway, this morning started very bright and early. Four am to be exact! Had to get up in time to eat breakfast in order for it to digest, not to mention some 15 (I don't think that's an exaggeration) trips to the toilet.

The boys walked me down to Milsons Point (about 15 minutes) and I queued for the toilet (again!) which took up most of the time before we were called to line up. It was pretty cool but not too bad amongst the crowd.

Finally the gun went off and we got moving. It was good to see signs showing you where to line up as I tend to look at other runners and think that they all look like faster runners than me (which can be very misleading).

The first k was onto the bridge and went by in 5.42 (perfect as I wanted between 5.30-5.40ks). I enjoyed the run across the bridge but missed the 2k mark and got to the 3k mark in 15.53 (a little too fast but I felt ok). I can't really remember all of the splits (and missed more markers) but I do remember getting to the 8k mark in 43.27 (a little too fast maybe).

It was great to see the front runners going past the other way and the runners around me gave them a great cheer (especially the first woman). I got to 10ks in 54.56 (hmm my only 10k race was done in 54.49!). I knew that I was ahead of the 2 hour pacers and I was hoping to keep it that way.

Alas, they passed me some time around the 12k mark. I wanted to catch up to them but couldn't really summon the energy, and according to my calculations I was still okay for going under 2 hours. It was great to see a friend from work going past the other way at around this point, that was a bit of a boost.

I had been feeling a dull ache in my right hamstring since somewhere near the beginning of the race and it was starting to make its presence felt more strongly from about the 14k mark. I noticed that I was slowing a little too and wondered if I had gone out a little fast.

All was going pretty well till about the 18k mark when my left knee started to feel like it wanted to give out. This quickly developed into a pain, but I decided that I had to keep running. I have had this happen before and sometimes it stops again.

It didn't and the last 3 ks were pretty hard. It was really hurting at times but at least it didn't stop me altogether. I really wanted to finish strongly and I was so relieved when I saw the Opera House. I had a couple of little bursts over the last 2ks but I couldn't really sustain them for long.

As I came up toward the finish I could hear the announcer calling out 2 hours. Anyway I crossed not long after and can you believe that I forgot to stop my watch for a little. When I stopped it it said 2 hours 26 seconds. So now I will just have to wait for the result to be posted on the net.

I guess it wasn't the ideal race (only the end really). I just wish I could have sustained the great time, but maybe it was just too quick. It was a good experience, but much harder when you are not at home with your own bed and the ability to cook for yourself (especially when you are a coeliac, fish-eating vegetarian, an oxymoron I know).

One other little detail that may explain the day. I need new shoes. I didn't get them because I thought I wouldn't have time to break them in but I think I really should have because I also had sore feet at times during the race.

All up a pretty satisfying effort. Now I just have to wait and see. I have some more details, but I think this post is long enough.

1 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Great stuff RU!

Don't worry too much about those last 3 kms, just the fact that you almost made it under goal time even with that shows how far you've come.

Yes and you should have bought new shoes, I reckon if you had brought them the day before they wouldn't of been a problem for a half marathon.

Just think when all things come together what kind of time you could get. It will be something you can't even imagine now. So keep on running and working on making "all things come together".

Congratulations RU.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home