Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sunshine

Just back from our massive road trip/holiday in central Queensland. Had a fantastic time, saw some great stuff and really enjoyed ourselves.

We visited Lake Monduran (so G could try to catch a barra again, no luck only catfish and a bass caught by D), Cania Gorge (a fantastic place with lots of great family-friendly bushwalks, heaps of birds and wildlife, Yepoon (stayed at the scuzziest place ever and was very disappointed with this place), made up for Yepoon by going out to Great Keppel which was gorgeous (especially on the quieter beaches), Keppel Sands (another lovely place but as the name suggests the sandflies were bad) then Lake Awoonga (more fishing, but another great place) and back home. We also visited Mt Warning on the way up and stayed with G's sister in Brissy for a night. These are only the places where we stayed overnight we also did a lot of other fun things like fossicking for thunder eggs (found heaps of little ones)and visiting a crocodile farm where the boys all got to hold a baby (I took photos!) and of course a few runs as well as lots of walking.

I took it very easy with the running as my foot was still sore when we set out. I self-diagnosed tendonitis which my BIL (who is a doctor and runner) agreed with as there is a tendon that runs around the side of the ankle and along the side of the foot. This can take a while to heal, especially if you rush back into it so I wanted to stick to my resolution to be patient.

So, taking 2P's advice about running stride I gave it a little test run at Lake Monduran with a run/walk and the great thing was that I didn't have to alter my stride at all. Although it was still a little tender and sore.

A few more days rest and the foot was feeling a lot better so I decioded to head out for half an hour at Cania Gorge. The caravan park where we were staying was right next to the National Park which meant a 5k run along one of the walks. How good is that? Beautiful scenery and a good run. Foot felt pretty good.

The only other run to report was a nice sweaty run (very humid) around Keppel Sands with a great view of the islands and lots of hellos along the way (this would have to be the friendliest most relaxed place in Australia). No problems with foot at all!

So, the foot is feeling good. I don't notice any pain/discomfort at all unless I push fairly hard along the side of the foot. The plan is for a run this afternoon - might try for 7ks and see how it goes. I think I'll stick to shorter runs for the moment and ease back into the long runs over the next few weeks.

2 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Celeste said...

I used to live in Rocky and many of the names you mentioned brought back memories. I can't imagine holidaying there though!!!

Sounds like you had a good time. Certainly the right neck of the woods for fishing for barra!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Great news about the hoof RU.

Sounds like a fantatic holiday - I always remember the ads about getting wrecked on Great Kepple Island - must try it some time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home