Sunday, November 05, 2006

Long Slow Sunday

This describes both my day and the run. I worked all day yesterday (as well as 2 1/2 hours driving) and I have not felt like doing too much today.

I did my 14k run this afternoon. It was still fairly humid and rained a little, so not the most comfortable running conditions. But it was really beautiful in the bush today. the rain of the past few days has made everything nice and green and the creek was flowing well.

No wildlife of note but lots of things are in flower at the moment including what looked like the native hibiscuc that we used to get in the Territory. Part of where I run is a rainforest remnant (the part that hasn't been logged to death) and it is pretty gorgeous. I saw lots of staghorns that I hadn't noticed before (it was nicer looking around than thinking about my running!) On the way back I bumped into the boys out taking Pip for a walk and walked the last 1/2k with them.

2P had a good question on my last entry about why I want to get faster. Basically I want to feel that I am still imrpoving. I know that I can run longer than a year ago but I am not that much faster/. I thought that if I kept running that I would simply get faster, that is not true. I think that I have a pace that is really comfortable to run at (between 6-7 min/kms) and in order to get faster I will have to work at it.

My plan is to do the half marathon at the Macleay River Marathon in June next year. This is a long way off and I think I could actually run the distance now so I guess I would like to do it in a respectable time (under 2 hours wuold be nice). It would be good to do another race but I am pretty flat out most of the time - working full time + traveling 90 minutes a day, kids sport, etc. I might try to find another race to do next year as it is good motivation.

Busy week ahead! Hope I can squeeze in a few quick runs.

2 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, Blogger 2P said...

Hey RU good work on the 14k.

Nice observation by you - if you do long slow runs - then you will get long slow results. To run faster then... well... you need to run faster.... but not a whole lot faster.

To improve your 1/2 marathon time you need to concentrate on fartlek, 1k repeats, some hill repeats and some tempo running ie your 5k PB minus about 20 secs per k for 20 mins in the context of a longer run. Save the 400's till the last 6 weeks or so prep of your target race to sharpen you up.

But don't under-estimate the value of the long slow distance run (LSD) runs of 16 to 30k at 6.15 to 7min pace will do wonders for your endurance - it is a mixture of the LSD and speedwork that will enable you to realise your dreams.

Great work RU - keep it going mate - given your current pace and training distances a sub 2 hour at Macleay River Half Marathon is very achievable ;-)

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Legs and Wings said...

I am visiting your blog for the first time today. As time permits, take as many nice long slow Sunday runs as you can because they really will help with endurance. 2p is right with his suggestions but don't ever panic about it. Take it as it comes and enjoy every step. I have discovered there is more joy in the training than in the actual race. Good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home