Friday, March 30, 2007

Go Boys!!

Took the day off to go to the boys' school cross country and to also have a much needed break (mental health day).

I was so proud of them both. D had a type of inflamatory arthritis a few years ago and had to have an arthroscope on his knee. He has also suffered from sore feet and ankles and apparently has very loose joints. As a result he has never enjoyed running. But despite all that he ran/walked 3 ks today! and came 3rd in his age group (out of 4!) He admitted to mainly running when he was going past the parents (a bit of a vanity fartlek). I was so happy for him when he finished that I had a tear in my eye (that's true D if you read this).

J is quite a good long distance runner and has won his age group the last few years. Today he led most of the way and made a fantastic time of 8.51 for his 2ks (not sure if his mother could match that). He had a girl tailing him the whole way, she is an age group below him and finished 2 seconds later (how amazing is that for an under 9?) They certainly helped each other to get a good time.

Told the boys that I'm equally proud of them both which D scoffed at a bit, but I truly meant it!! As for myself I've had a couple of runs this week: 7ks on Tuesday morn and 6 ks this morn. I hope to get in my long run tomorrow afternoon: will aim for another 16k run.

3 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

great post RU.

Before we had our second boy I didn't think I could love anyone more than the first, but as you say I'm equally proud of both and having them means the world to us.

You obviously feel the same. By the way I did what you said and found a track at the local university, 400m, that was fenced off and ran around while the kids played with a frisbe, it worked great as I could keep my eye on them and in the middle of the track there was a grass field some university kids were playing soccer and I watched them while running and the reserves in the team played with my boys as well.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Celeste said...

OMG - how fast are those kids!!!

You sound like a proud parent - and rightly so!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Vicky said...

Totally understand how you feel RU. Seeing your kids do that sort of thing sure does make you go all mushy inside - esp if it is something that you know is tough for them... great effort from them both. My 7yr old is starting to show some interest in runnning too. I think we make great role-models by being fit and active, striving to achieve our goals and perservereing even if/when the going gets tough, don't you? Just another big plus of running !

MAR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home