Monday, March 19, 2007

Sweaty Soggy Squelchy

Those three words sum up this morning's long run. I put off running yesterday as it was very hot and I knew that G wasn't going fishing this morning. At 7.00 it was already quite warm (25 degrees) and very humid, nevertheless I was determined to run and I knew it wouldn't get any warmer as it was very overcast.

The first 4 ks were unpleasant due to the humidity and I was hoping it would start raining. Of course it did start to rain, got heavier and rained for the next 1 1/2 hours that I was out running.

My pace was slower than last time I did this run but I am putting it down to the extra kilos of wet clothes, hair, socks,etc :) I was most unimpressed to get to the last bridge (about half a k from home) to discover that it was totally covered in water about 3 inches deep. So my shoes went from soggy to squelchy.

I also had quite a sore right knee for the last 3 ks. I have been ignoring a niggle that has been developing over the last few weeks, but it was more that a niggle today and during the last few downhill sections it was even painful. It just feels very stiff now, especially after sitting for a while. Anyway I may have some enforced rest this week as I have a couple of late afternoons at work and we have only 1 car till G picks up his new one next weekend which means that it is going to be difficult to coordinate my runs. Might be a good thing as I certainly don't want this to flair up into anything serious.

I was glad to finish my run today and finally got to have breakfast at about 10.00 (just had a banana and a glass of Sustagen before heading out).

BTW G just called out to say that the tank is overflowing (we live on rainwater). As they say 'it never rains but it pours'. Also took Pip out for his first walk in ages yesterday, boy was he happy! He still has stitches but they should come out next weekend. He is recovering well and enjoying his new 'home' on the back verandah.

5 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Celeste said...

Glad Pip is getting better!

I've never run in the rain, but I gues it's inevitable at some point. The squelchy shoes have put me off a bit. As long as it wasn't too cold, it'd be a neat experience.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

I absolutely love running in the rain but nothing beats that warm shower & hot drink afterwards!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Gotta love the squelch ;-)

Good on you mate for keeping the faith and getting out there in humid conditions.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Vicky said...

How does that saying go? "Careful what you wish for"...?!?!

I still think the rain beats the humidity and heat any day, but it does throw up its own challenges.

Glad to hear Pip is on the mend. As for you RU, consider yourself told off - NEVER ignore a niggle for more than 1 or 2 runs. If it persists after that it needs rest or treatment or both!!! Naughty girl... Hope it comes right with some TLC.

MAR.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Mat said...

Good on you for sticking with it. Still, rainy any soggy is a lot nicer (and funnier) than hot and humid.

Sounds like your due for a trip to the physio to find the root cause of the knee niggle :-).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home