Thursday, February 22, 2007

Dark Creek Flat

that was the setting for today's run. It was still pretty dark at 6.00am, but I wanted to get back into some speed work and the creek flat is the best option (as it's flatter than the road).

The flat is about 600m (never measured it but it fits with my pace) so I figured that I had time for 10 laps. the first 3 were slowish (warming up) then I did 400m fastish (2.18) followed by a 200m walk and another slow 600m. I repeated the fast/slow (2.16 then 2.14) to finish 6 ks in 37.30.

The 400s were slightly slower than the last time I did this but I felt a lot better during them and afterwards. It was a nice cool morning (17 degrees) and it was light enough by the time I got to the fast laps to see where I was going.

Next week I will vary this routine slightly but plan on incorporating at least 1 speed (if you can call it that) session. Cross country training has started at the boy's school so I might have a running partner in J as long as he doesn't run into any more trees like today (has a scratched eye lense, hopefully not too serious). He is a pretty solid long distance runner - can do 2ks in just over 9 minutes (not sure that I could do that!!).

3 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Blogger Celeste said...

It's getting too dark for me in the mornings now. I am wimping out and running a lot more in the afternoons. I'd like to get back into morning runs because it sets you up for the day. I've just gotta get myself out of bed! I don't know that I'd be comfortable running in the dark though. Is there any light at all where you run? I'd be paranoid about tripping over a tree root or something.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

You will get faster running with someone fast, it's a good idea.
Also it could come it handy if that bloody Dingo turns on you.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger 2P said...

You are definitely getting quicker RU. Yeah some races before your big dance would be good - but not essential - maybe you could do the odd 3 or 5k time trial where you race yourself for a good time and a good time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home