Friday, July 13, 2007

Music to my ears

This morning I decided to run down on the creek flat for a change. The plan was to attempt some speed work and I figured it would make a nice change to use the Ipod.

The track was pretty rough - not long grass but very uneven underfoot as it hasn't been mowed in a few months and there were lots of stinging nettles in a couple of sections to make it fun. It wasn't easy to do the usual 400m interval session so I decided to just make it a fartlek instead.

I actually realised that I prefer this type of run as I was only doing smaller fast runs interspersed with steady jogging. As well as a kind of obstacle course through the stinging nettles at the narrow end of the flat.

I realised on the third lap that there was a dead possum about a metre from where I was running (luckily it hadn't reached the smelly stage as yet).

It was interesting to use the Ipod for a change. I think it's only the second time I have run with it. I realised how eclectic G's musical taste is (as it is all from his computer) as I listened to U2, Cold Chisel, Pink Floyd, Missy Higgins, Andrew LLoyd Webber, the Dirty Three and The Finn Brothers amongst. Although I enjoyed the music I realised that I also missed the rhythmic sounds of my own breathing (am I weird?) and the sounds of nature such as the birds, wind,etc. But, I can understand why city folk love them (to block out unpleasant sounds of traffic, etc). I might try doing this session once a week. It is very pretty down there and we really don't use it as much as we should.

BTW the only stinging nettle that got me was when I was picking lemons at the end of my run (which was about 40 minutes and 6 -7 ks).

2 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

I don't think you're weird RU. Listening to the sounds of the world is better than the ipod but Cold Chisel would come a close second ;)

Who the hell are "The dirty three"?

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger running uphill said...

The Dirty Three are a contemporary classical? (kind of) group. Their music is pretty mournful stuff (not really good for running).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home