Monday, October 22, 2007

Mornings

Have run three times since my last post, each time in the morning. This morning I set out at about 9.30 and decided to try for 8 ks (my longest run since the half and subsequent foot problems). Felt fine until the 6k mark when I started to get a pain like sciatica down my right leg and backside. I just kept going, hoping that it would go away - it didn't.

Got home in 49.50 which wasn't too bad. Still felt the pain and the touching-the-toes-test confirmed it as sciatica (no way could I touch them) which I have had twice in my life before - firstly when I was about 19 and doing lots of aerobics and then again when I was pregnant with J (and no, don't even ask). I also noticed once I had cooled down that my foot was a little sore again. Bugger. Applied some ice but it has felt a bit sore all day.

So it will be an easy week of running here. I will leave it till Wednesday and maybe again on Friday if all is okay. We are then off to the big smoke on the weekend for a family do so I might be tempted to run around the posh suburbs (if I can do so without getting lost).

I have a confession to make: I am still running in my old shoes (that may or may not have been part of the cause of the foot problems) but I promise I will get new ones next weekend and I might even splurge on them. Any suggestions for someone with high arches are welcome!

Wildlife spotting: Just one goanna and numerous birds (mostly heard rather than seen).
Traffic: One horse (with rider)

3 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

New shoes sound like a good plan. I hope the sciatica doesn't develop into anything worse. Look after yourself!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger 2P said...

Congrats on the blogiversary RU - I may not have been there for the birth, but I've enjoyed watching your blog grow up ;-)

The pain you are describing in your butt is often caused by hips being a bit out of alignment.

As for shoes - if you are a nuetral runner then Asics Nimbus might be worth a look.

Have fun in tinsel town :-)

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

As for your "confession" RU. Sat 3 hail marys and buy some new shoes ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home