Monday, December 31, 2007

Reflections

It's time for a quick look back over 2007 before starting to think about some new goals for 2008.

  • My first half marathon: I was just so glad to get out and complete this one. After being diagnosed with Graves Disease about a month earlier and the related racing heart and loss of fitness I was happy to complete this one and pleasantly surprised with a time of about 2hrs 3 1/2 minutes.
  • The diagnosis of Coeliac Disease on top of the Graves meant a change to a gluten free diet. I survived my first gluten free Christmas thanks to G's family (his sister cooked a gluten free pudding and another sister bought me a gluten free cake!). I'm feeling much better overall now.
  • The second half marathon: this one was a little disappointing. Knee pain for the last third of this race meant missing my goal by 3 seconds. I am reassured by the fact that I know I really hung in there just to keep running all the way.

I guess they were the major running related events of the year. I enjoyed the longer runs and the commitment paying off with being able to complete a half marathon.

G gave me a Polar heart rate monitor for Chrissy. I haven't run in over a week due to a chronic chest infection (passed on by D and the G, thanks) so I have only done the walk test. Was meant to be done on a flat course but I went up the road anyway and the analysis was 'good', whatever that means!

I have a new route to try out after checking with a neighbour that his dogs are fenced in. There is actually a road off our road only a couple of hundred metres from our door, but I have never walked, run or even driven on it in the five years we have been here! Exciting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home