Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I Choose Dingoes

The title reflects my new running mantra. At times I can get a bit freaked out when running and I'm not sure if it's my overactive imagination or running solo in the bush that does it. At the moment the cicadas are crazy-loud, you feel like you are in a science fiction movie and it is very hard to hear anything else. It is a little disconcerting as I rely on my sense of hearing to figure out what is going on around me while I am running due to the many twists and turns my road takes. So I am easily spooked at the moment.

So what do dingoes have to do with all this? As long time readers would be aware I have had quite a few 'encounters' with dingoes whilst out running. Admittedly the most threatening they have been is either following me for about 5 minutes or just staring at me before running away.

About a week ago while running up the road I came across a dingo only 500m from home so I decided to run down the road (decisions, decisions). The run was okay but as I came back up my own driveway our next door neighbours' (on the down the road side) two fully grown male rottweilers came growling at me out of nowhere and scared the heck out of me. Luckily the neighbour was out on his mower ... I had picked up a handful of rocks and yelled at them by this time.

So the upshot of all this is that dingoes are much less scary than fully grown rottweilers and so I will run up the road and stop being paranoid! I usually love it up there but I think those cicadas are sending me crazy.

Today's effort: 8.2ks (the longest one in a while) in 52.29. I'm happy with that and am still figuring out the heart rate monitor - accidently reset it when I got back today and didn't get to look at the data first.

1 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

Happy New Year and it looks like you have some good goals for this year. I'll be trying to blog more too so we can keep each other going!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home